In response to the escalating situation it is no longer appropriate to offer B&B or self-catering accommodation in our cottages thus we are not accepting any new bookings and cancelling existing ones until the end of April in the first instance. We will monitor the situation carefully and re-open as soon as it is safe for both our guests and ourselves to do so.

For those who have an existing booking, we would first ask you to consider postponing your booking to another date. This will help us to weather the current situation and support those who help us at West Heath Barn. We will not at this stage tie you to an alternative date and will simply provide a credit of any monies already received against another booking within the next 12 months (this will be extended if the situation takes longer to resolve than currently predicted). If this is not possible or appropriate then we will of course provide a refund. Please contact us to discuss your existing booking and to agree the best course of action.